Hydrogen sulfide poisoning killed 2 fishermen

Yesterday, unfortunately, 2 fishermen from Strandby in Denmark were fatally poisoned by hydrogen sulfide gas, when they went down in the ship to their cargo of putrefy sprats. Another person who tried to rescue them was also poisoned but may survive. Hydrogen sulfide is formed at putrefaction processes, and it is one of the most lethal gasses we know. The strong smell of rotten eggs is only a warning in the beginning, because the toxin paralyzes the odor sense.

In 2002 I wrote a Focus-paper about hydrogen sulfide in the Danish journal “Arbejdsmiljø” directed to workplaces and safety representatives. In the Danish version of this blog, this paper can be read with a few opdates.[1]


[1] Jensen AA. Fokus på farlige stoffer i arbejdsmiljøet nr. 87: Hydrogensulfid (svovlbrinte). Arbejdsmiljø 2002;18(5):52-53.

 

1 Response

  1. My family members every time say that I am wasting my time here
    at net, however I know I am getting knowledge every day
    by reading such good content.

Leave a comment